Essential oils have gained popularity ever since they were introduced in skin care and beauty. Their multiple benefits make them the perfect solution for various skin, hair and health issues.
However, it is crucial to choose the right oil as per your requirement. Every essential oil has certain specific benefits and should be used accordingly. In this article, we have explained the benefits and types of essential oils, to help you find the right product for your skin type.
What are Essential Oils?
Table of Contents
Essential oils are concentrated hydrophobic liquids that have volatile compounds extracted from plants. They are concentrated plant extracts that retain the natural scent and flavour. However, they are very volatile and photo-sensitive and hence usually found in dark-tinted glass bottles.
Benefits of Different Essential Oils
You can find essential oils in almost every plant. However, among these, a few are particularly known for their benefits in skin care and hair care. The benefits vary from one oil to another. We have listed a few general benefits which are common to most essential oils:
#1 Skin nourishment
Several essential oils like lavender and tea tree oil are known for the overall nourishment and moisturisation that keeps the skin healthy. They have healing and anti-bacterial properties to relieve the skin from problems like acne, eczema, insect bites or burns.
#2 Calming inflammation
Essential oils can also help to calm inflammations, redness and irritations. Oils like Chamomile, eucalyptus and germanium have a relaxing and cooling effect that provides relief from painful inflammation.
#3 Minimise sleep problems
The essential oils are used in aromatherapy to help people relax and sleep. Oils like lavender can calm the nerves and induce sleep which in turn has a positive effect on your overall health and beauty.
#4 Control stress and anxiety
Lifestyles today are extremely hectic and stressful. But using essential oils carefully can help you relax and also get rid of stress-induced fatigue and headaches.
Certain essential oils like argan and rose have an anti-ageing effect on your skin. They can visibly prevent fine lines and wrinkles in the long run. They also boost collagen and elastane in the skin and retain youthfulness.
#6 Healing powers
Essential oils are also antibacterial and antiseptic that help in healing minor scars, wounds and even burns. Oils like tea tree oil and ylang ylang are known for their healing properties.
You can make homemade facial oil and get thoroughly moisturised skin by using the essential oils the right way. Various essential oils can work as a moisturiser, choose a suitable one according to your skin type and issues.
Essential Oils Beneficial for Skin
Here are a few popular essential oils which are particularly known for their benefits in skin care.
- Tea tree oil: This oil is enriched with antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help you fight acne, pigmentation and infections in the long run.
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil is not only relaxing but also pain-relieving and works great on skin inflammations and redness.
- Ylang-Ylang oil: Ylang-Ylang is moisturising and it particularly suits dry skin types and maintains the oil balance.
- Neroli oil: This oil can prevent ageing and minimise fine lines. It boosts cell regeneration and improves overall skin elasticity.
- Rosemary oil: Get rid of acne, open pores and undereye bags with rosemary oil. It can rejuvenate your skin and make it look better and brighter.
How to Incorporate Essential Oils in Skin Care?
There are several ways in which you can include essential oil in your daily skin care routine. Here are a few such tips.
If you have a bathtub, you can get the maximum use of essential oils. Set up a home spa easily. Simply fill the tub and add your favourite bath bomb. Also, add approximately 10 drops of your favourite essential oil blends to the water. Mix it up and step inside. It will not only help you relax but also rejuvenate your skin in the long run.
Mix a couple of drops of any essential oil as per your requirement and mix it with carrier oil or any daily face oil. Apply this every day. You will get the benefits of the essential oil thoroughly along with the benefits of the carrier oil.
Occasionally you can steam your skin to clean the pores and make the skin plumper and youthful. If you add a few drops of any aromatic essential oil in the vaporiser it will have a relaxing and calming effect on your skin.
tira’s Recommended Essential Oils
- Soulflower Tea Tree Essential Oil: Soulflower has a wide range of high-quality essential oils. Their tea tree essential oil is one of the best you can find. The most superior ingredients are used to make this oil.
- Skivia Rose Essential Oil: Skivia has a budget-friendly range of essential oils. The Rose essential oil from Skivia is one of the best and most affordable options you will come across.
- Tabiea Turmeric Essential Oil: This oil is good for skin and pocket friendly too. They have some uncommon but highly demanded oils in their range, including turmeric essential oil.
- Vaadi Herbals Chamomile Essential Oil: Another brand known for its quality and affordable products is Vaadi. They have various essential oils and one of them is chamomile. The oil is very suitable for all skin types and has a very natural and pleasant scent.
We hope the various essential oils listed along with their benefits help you choose the one that suits you the best. Your skin will feel rejuvenated and youthful when you use these oils. The tips and suggestions from tira are curated to make it easier for you to find the best products for your skin.