What is Gastric Sleeve?
Table of Contents
Gastric sleeve: also known as sleeve gastrectomy, a type of weight loss (bariatric) surgery that renders the stomach smaller. In gastric sleeve surgery, over half of the stomach is removed, leaving a thin vertical sleeve, or tube, in place of the normal-sized stomach.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery (or Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Turkey) is a bariatric procedure that removes 75-80% of the stomach.
Am I a Good Candidate for Gastric Sleeve?
If your BMI greater than 40, or BMI of 35-39.9 with one of the obesity-related health problems, you are a good candidate for Gastric Sleeve Operation.
Obesity relates health problems are Hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, Sleep Apnea, Fatty liver disease, or Hyperlipidemia. Gastric Sleeve is performed on women and men.
What are the risks?
Risks and side effects vary by bariatric procedure. The following list is not all-inclusive, but briefly outlines the risks of gastric sleeve. Your bariatric surgeon will make sure you understand the risks and complications of your specific procedure.
- Blood clots
- Gallstones (risk increases with rapid or
- substantial weight loss)
- Internal bleeding or profuse bleeding of the
- surgical wound
- Perforation of stomach or intestines
- Skin separation
- Vitamin or iron deficiency
During the procedure
You can share your concerns about weight loss. Our surgeon will share their thoughts with you too.
1- Needed Tests
Before the surgery, you will be examined but many experts and if you are %100 eligible both mentally and physically you will go through the surgery.
During the surgical procedures, drugs are applied for your comfort. The operation is performing under general anesthesia.
3- Formation of Incisions
The formation of incisions varies according to the area or regions, the degree of recovery, the patient, and the surgeon’s preferences.
4- See the result
You can see the weighing result of the sleeve gastrectomy immediately after surgery. But it will take a few months before you see the end in your body.
What to Expect?
Gastric Sleeve should be performed in a hospital. It should be done in an operating room environment. You will be anesthetized during the operation and you will not feel any pain during the operation.
You should talk with your doctor in detail about Gastric Sleeve Turkey. As a result, you should expect realistic results. Your doctor should be able to tell you correctly, and you should understand it well.
What Should be done after surgery?
- Day 1: Clear liquid diet. Some surgeons allow patients to drink water a few hours after surgery
- Day 2-14: Full liquid diet including protein shakes, yogurt, broth, milk, and juice
- Weeks 3-5: Soft food diet
- Patients can begin introducing regular food 5 weeks after surgery. They are encouraged to eat a small amount of food each time and have more frequent meals.
- All patients must take multi-vitamin and B complex after surgery
For gastric sleeve patients, weight loss Turkey results come extremely fast, and patients can usually reach their Goal Weight (GW) in the first two years. It can be as long as a few days before patients can see results from gastric sleeve surgery.
- 6-month post-op results: 45% excess weight loss
- 1-year post-op results: 65% excess weight loss
- 3-years post-op results: 55% excess weight loss
- 5-years post-op results: 53% excess weight loss