While many medical professionals research and attempt to cure male/female pattern baldness, there still isn’t a hair loss cure and certainly won’t be one in the near foreseeable future.
Since the 1980’s, hair transplants and pharmacological preventative measures have continued to evolve, to the point at which a significant number of those suffering from hair loss can manage to slow it down. Two over-the-counter treatments that men typically use are Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine). Both demonstrate varying degrees of success, but neither does anything to stop long-term, permanent hair loss.
If you want to hold off on the “Grandpa” look and retain some semblance of your youthful, flowing locks, the one rule of thumb is simple:
Act sooner rather than later.
Methods to Help Combat Hair Loss
Table of Contents
A hair transplant may sound like a great idea, but you should understand that it’s a fairly radical surgery. Having portions of your scalp sliced off and moved around doesn’t sound like a lot of fun, and it’s more than likely a process accompanied by some pain during the healing process.
There is a better, more common way to approach hair loss.
Here’s a list of more manageable methods that you might want to try first, from simple to the more invasive. Remember, act sooner rather than later. In the bigger picture, once hair loss begins, the days of a guaranteed, luxurious mane gradually begin to slip away.
Lifestyle Changes to Help Fight Hair Loss
- Quit Smoking: Research shows that smoking not only affects your lungs but also hair loss, premature graying of hair, and facial wrinkles (assuming that youth is the look at which you’re aiming).
- Balanced Diet: Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, unsaturated fats, and lean proteins contribute to warding off some degree of hair loss, and they’re also good for your health in general.
- Get a Physical: There are several underlying medical conditions that contribute to hair loss. Getting the necessary treatment for a condition will most likely slow down any hair loss as well.
- Reduce Stress: Be sure to get enough sleep and exercise. Both help to reduce tension (which can also be a contributing factor), and exercise stimulates blood flow to the scalp.
Hair Care for Healthier Hair
- Take it Easy on Your Hair: If you wear a hairstyle that has you constantly twisting, twirling, or pulling your hair, you might want to consider a new look. Overworking your hair in such ways can lead to direct hair loss.
- Check Your Medications: Depending on any medical condition you may have, there may be a medication that is directly contributing to the problem, or it could be interacting with something such as Rogaine. If so, see your doctor about making possible changes.
- Kiierr Laser Cap: A hair treatment clinically proven to treat hair loss, the Kiierr Laser Hair Cap uses Low-Level Light Therapy and has helped thousands of men and women to regain their confidence by giving them thicker hair. Without a doubt, it’s the easiest laser-hair-growth device on the market today.
Alternative Remedies for Hair Loss
You can include certain items in your diet that can help prevent the thinning of hair.
- Green Tea
- Saw Palmetto
- Oils (scalp massages)
- Onion Juice
- Hair Transplant: Although the process has certainly come a long way since its earliest days, a hair transplant is still considered invasive. You should probably only consider it if you really, really, want your full head of hair back and even then, as an option of last resort.
There are two types of hair transplants:
- Follicular Unit Transplantation: Involves removing strips of skin from the back of your scalp where there’s an abundance of hair
- Follicular Unit Extraction: More expensive, and there are risks – possible scarring and infections, and it can be painful.
The bottom line is that at some point, most people are going to deal with some degree of hair loss. If you’re struggling with hair loss and really want to retain some of what you have or even try to re-grow or replace it, there are ways to go about it. Give some of these hair loss methods a try!