Hair loss treatments for women and men has become the internet’s latest fashion. After all, who can blame you if you can’t take a thinning hairline in good stride? Most people are shocked when they find out that balding is not too far away once you turn thirty-five.
According to the American Hair Loss Association’s reports, hair loss is just as common in women before the age of forty as it is in men. Researchers have been proactive for years to develop a perfect way of growing back a head full of hair. Quite a lot of advanced treatment options are also available now.
This article provides the best for hair loss treatments and the suitable courses of action for hair loss in women and men.
Hair Thinning & How it Begins
Androgenetic alopecia is responsible for 95% of the hair loss that occurs due to male/female pattern baldness. DHT is the main perpetrator of the male pattern hair loss, a kind of sex hormone that we also refer to as androgen.
Androgens are greatly responsible for the typical male characteristics, such as the deep baritones in men’s voices, heavy body hair, etc. Unfortunately, DHT is also responsible for miniaturizing the hair follicles till they diminish to the point of zero reproduction.
Other factors that attribute to hair thinning include:
- Supplements and medications. Especially medicines you may take for cardio problems, cancer, arthritis, high blood pressure, and depression.
- A temporary hair loss may occur six or seven months after suffering an emotional shock. It is often a repercussion of enduring an emotionally stressful time.
- Alopecia areata is an autoimmune condition. You can lose hair in patches all over your body. You may lose all your hair, too, including a bald scalp in case of a progressive condition. This condition is different from pattern baldness.
- Hair thinning may also occur when the hair shaft weakens and begins to beak. This can result from over styling and overuse of harsh chemicals in hair dyes, styling products, and tools, etc.
Hair Loss Treatments & What Hair Loss Treatment is Best
To decide upon a particular course of action, you must first determine the main reason behind your hair thinning. This means consulting a specialist and undergoing certain tests, perhaps to reach the root cause of your hair thinning.
Then you can opt for several treatments to reverse or slow down your hair thinning. Let’s look at your options:
FDA cleared low-level laser light therapy as a safe and effective treatment for hair loss years ago. Since its introduction, laser therapy for hair growth has gained the spotlight as one of the most effective, painless, and safe means of growing back a head of hair.
With the advancements of technology, you can now find an array of home laser devices and laser caps to treat your hair loss. Apart from this, you may also opt for professional laser treatment sessions at a clinic. In both cases, the devices used emit a steady LED red light that soothes inflammation and activates blood flow to your hair follicles.
Propecia or Finasteride
This is an oral medicine that converts testosterone into DHT. We refer to this medicine as a 5-alpha reductase also. This drug prevents the DHT from shrinking your hair follicles when it is present in your system.
Studies claim that finasteride effectively contains baldness from increasing and can activate approximately 80% hair growth. But then again, it is important only to consume this medicine with a doctor’s approval.
Rogaine or Minoxidil
If you opt for this treatment, you will have to apply for the liquid foam medicine onto your scalp twice daily. There have been claims from around 60% of men to have experienced significant hair growth with the minoxidil’s help. If you discontinue use midway, you must be prepared for the hair growth to revert and hair thinning to set in again.
Other Hair Loss Treatments to Consider
Apart from the treatment options mentioned above, you may consider the following therapies for hair thinning:
- PRP treatments are also quite popular currently. In this treatment, a dermatologist draws the blood of an individual and extracts plasma through a centrifuge from it. He/she injects the plasma in the balding areas of the individual’s scalp. This treatment aims to give the hair growth factors in the individual’s platelets an opportunity to spur new growth.
- You can try out a reputable DHT-blocking shampoo from the markets. Or look for a hair loss shampoo that contains ketoconazole, keratin, vitamin B12, and zinc, then you may have a chance at hair regrowth.
Tips to Manage Your Hair Loss:
- Your very first step must be to consult a board-certified dermatologist to discover the root cause of your hair thinning. You can be far more successful in reversing or slowing down the hair thinning with proper treatment in time.
- If your hair is already thin and falling out, then use a gentle shampoo and follow it with a moisturizing conditioner each time.
- Apply a detangler or leave-in conditioner after every wash. This will reduce breakage, frizz, split ends, etc.
- Stop excessive hair treatments, such as coloring, styling, chemical relaxing, and straightening, etc.
- Use a microfiber towel.
Thinning before thirty or thirty-five is not uncommon and certainly no cause to lose your nerves. Once you verify the main reason behind your hair loss, you will have a better idea of which hair loss treatment is best for you.